Bridget and McKenzie visit the 1980’s with the classic kid’s adventure film The Goonies and the Netflix show Stranger Things. They find that The Goonies is a relic with some pretty problematic jokes and that Stranger Things is disappointingly not all that strange.
The Goonies was directed by Richard Donner and produced by Steven Spielberg. Stranger Things was created by the Duffer Brothers (hey–where are all the sister teams in Hollywood?).
This week Bridget is into the podcast Why Won’t You Date Me? With Nicole Byers and the original It miniseries based off the book by Stephen King. McKenzie recommends the YA book A Conjuring of Light, the song “Sticky” by Ravyn Lenae, and shopping local at Strange Ways in New Haven, CT.
- Director Richard Donner on The Goonies 30 years later.
- Thomas Bookheimer at Silver Screen Disability on Sloth.
- What Stranger Things Is Missing From the ’80s Horror Genre by Sean T. Collins.
- What’s Behind Pop Culture’s Love for Silent, Violent Little Girls? By Emily Yoshida.
- Film Crit Hulk on Stranger Things.
- Rachel Handler on Nancy’s insane fashion choices.